A Notice to my Readers

Hello, everyone.

As you all know, I often write about true crime on this blog. Inevitably, that has led me to write about some pretty disturbing and ugly cases.

I have previously been confronted by other readers concerning the graphic details and descriptions of the crimes I write about. For instance, I have become aware that my dissertation on Lawrence Bittaker has been considered to be overly graphic in the details regarding the murders.

I thought I would take the time to address this issue.

As a writer, I usually try to get a specific message across in my works. The gravity and full scope of that message, however, cannot be properly put across without including the full details of the crimes I write about.

For instance, my article on Lawrence Bittaker is intended to bring the reader into the very crime itself. If my message is to be interpreted correctly, I cannot censor anything in my writing. I need the reader to feel both physically and emotionally connected with the story, to be able to see the actual crime in their mind and feel the same emotions as if they were in the very same room as the killers and their victims.
Without that graphic, vivid detail, the message I am trying to convey cannot be properly interpreted.

Now, I perfectly understand that such detail can be traumatizing for certain people. And I am not immune to the trauma of it either.
I myself have had countless, horrifying nightmares about the criminals I study and write about.
I have seen evil men like Lawrence Bittaker, Roy Norris, and Francisco Martinez appear in my nightmares. I see the horrific crimes they committed, the victims they murdered, and the terror they instilled.

Regardless, however, I feel it is a necessary evil to death with. As graphic and disturbing as these crimes may be, they need to be spoken of, because the message I want to convey is important.
If someone is to truly understand what I am trying to say, they need to see the uncensored version of my work. It is the only proper way to understand what my message is. Any other way would not be sufficient, and it would not paint the proper picture or convey the proper message.

A great thanks to all of my followers.

-Suzuki

Comments